This post may not prove to be very interesting, but I feel the need to express my opinion(s) regarding some of the events from the big game last night. Shocking, I know.
Let's start with the performances. And I'm not talking about the football teams. Alicia Keys was beautiful and there is NO question homegirl is talented, but it wasn't my favorite rendition of the National Anthem. I prefer when it's sung straight up...no riffs, etc. I also prefer the national anthem performed as a lip sync. Kidding. Kudos to her for singing it live. I thought Jennifer Hudson's performance with the Sandy Hook choir was extremely moving. I cried. Again, shocking. But I still can't get over how much I loved Beyonce's performance. I think we all knew there was going to be a Destiny's Child reunion, but when those three girls busted out into Single Ladies, I about lost my mind. Some folks weren't impressed with the performance and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I definitely think it lived up to the hype. Destiny's Child was huge when I was in high school and college. So, for me, it was everything I wanted it to be.
Now let's talk about the real reason we all watch the Super Bowl: the commercials. I was highly impressed with a lot of the commercials this year. The Budweiser Clydesdale commercial made me cry. That song will get me every time. I also really loved the Taco Bell commercial. But for me, the winner of the night was the Dodge commercial featuring Paul Harvey. I was brought to tears, yet again. So simple. So effective. So true. Thank you, Dodge for taking a risk. I think it paid off.
Oh, and I guess there was a football game, too. Honestly, I wasn't very interested in the game since the Saints weren't involved. Was hoping the Texans could make a run, but maybe next year. I had no horse in the race. I thought it was interesting that the Harbaugh brothers were coaching. But mostly, I was just interested in the fact that the game took place in NOLA. I enjoyed seeing all of the positive coverage. And by positive coverage, I mean video of drunks walking up and down Bourbon. From the looks of things, it seems as if the experience in NOLA was one for the history books...
And then there's the blackout. Yes, it's embarrassing. But, c'mon. I was sickened by people who made light of the blackout by comparing it to Katrina. I mean, seriously. What happened last night does not even begin to compare to what happened in that dome in 2005. I almost de-friended some FB friends who were making Katrina references, but then decided it wasn't worth it. Some people just have ignorant moments. And they are to be forgiven. While I didn't care which team won, a part of me was pulling for the Ravens at the end ONLY BECAUSE I knew that if the 49'ers had come back to win, the blackout controversy would have some more long lasting implications. But the second half was one of the most exciting Super Bowl halves that I can remember. Congrats to both teams.
All in all, I was thoroughly impressed with this year's big game. Here's to hoping my Saints are in it next year...
This is my life. And I blame me.
No comments:
Post a Comment