Something happened to me last week, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It has been bothering me and bothering me some more. So, I'm hoping that by writing about it, I'll get it out of my system and be able to move on. Because once you hear what it is, you'll realize that this is the stupidest thing to get my panties in a wad over. Truly. It's stupid. But I'm seriously annoyed.
I went to Subway one day last week for lunch. It was packed. I know better than to go between 11:45-12:30. Anyway, I ordered my sandwich and moved down the line for them to dress it. The old crotchety gentleman behind me shouts, "I'll have an 11 inch turkey." I knew right away what he was referencing. Some idiots are suing Subway because they claim the sandwiches are actually 11 inches rather than 12 inches. Frivolous lawsuit. (I'm extra sensitive to frivolous lawsuits as one of my best friends is the Executive Director of Louisiana Lawsuit Abuse Watch...shout out to LLAW!)
I digress. Homeboy lets the Subway employee know that he wants an 11 inch sub. She looks confused. He takes a tone with her as if she's supposed to know exactly what he's talking about and says, "I heard it on the news media. Y'all have 11 inch subs...not 12 inch subs."
She says rather nicely, "Sir, we have 12 inch subs or 6 inch subs."
He replies, "But I heard it on the news media." (Yes, news media. Not news. Not media. News media.) He goes on to say, "So I want my 11 inch sub, please."
What a jerk. I mean, seriously. And it didn't help that he was obnoxiously loud.
She responds, "Well, ok. But you're still going to be charged for a 12 inch." You go girl! I loved that response.
It was all I could do not to involve myself. I was thinking, if EVERYONE believed EVERYTHING the NEWS MEDIA says, we'd all be stupid. I wanted to tell the dude to whip out his ruler so he can measure it himself. Plus, it's not the NEWS MEDIA saying Subway as 11 inch subs. It's the idiots who filed the lawsuit. The NEWS MEDIA is simply reporting on the lawsuit.
As someone who graduated with a communications degree, I cringe when I hear people re-state info they heard in the news as if it were fact. Folks really need to do their own research. Make up your mind for yourself. Certainly don't let MSNBC, Fox News or CNN tell you what you should think.
Whew...I do feel a little better. I think I might be able to move on now. I have finally forgiven the old crotchety guy.
This is my life. And I blame me.
No comments:
Post a Comment