Friday, January 4, 2013

Stairway to Heaven

I've decided that 2013 is the year of breaking bad habits.  One of my habits is entering a building and immediately searching for the nearest elevator or escalator.  Basically, I look for any method of getting to the upper floors that will allow me to exert the LEAST amount of energy possible.  Like, I don't even consider taking the stairs.  Ever.  As an aside, I'm also that person who drives around the parking lot at the grocery store for 15 minutes just so I can get the closest spot possible to the building. 

When I returned to work Wednesday, I was faced with a choice:

Choice #1:  The nice glass elevator that I take everyday.  It has a lovely view of the grassy knoll outside the office.  It's always nice and cool with the obligatory elevator music in the background.  It even has a little TV that tells the time and temp and a ticker with the "news of the day."  For instance, just the other week I learned that Boyz II Men will be playing nightly at Treasure Island in Las Vegas beginning March 1st.  I mean, can you imagine if I had missed out on that piece of extremely valuable information!?!?

Choice #2:  The gross stairwell.

I put my head down and broke the bad habit.  I entered the stairwell.  Mind you, I had on my coat, scarf and gloves.  I was carrying my extremely heavy briefcase with my laptop on one shoulder and my very "large and in charge" Mary Poppins bag that I call a purse on the other shoulder.  I was out of breath after the first two steps.  The entire trek up, I'm praying that nobody else enters the stairwell because at this point I'm holding on to both railings to pull my body up the stairs.  I get halfway up the first flight and I see this sign...





I whipped out my phone to snap this picture.  Needless to say, I did not need the reminder!  Plus, it allowed me a few seconds to catch my breath.

So...I finally reach my floor.  And then there is that awkward moment.  That moment when you open the door PRAYING there is nobody on the other side.  Because at this point, I'm so out of breath there is NO WAY that I would've been able to mutter a greeting much less crack a smile.  Luckily, there nobody on the other side.  Had there been, I'm sure they would've immediately dialed 911 because I was sweating profusely, holding my heart and gasping for air.  It was not a pretty site.  Oh, did I mention I work on the 2nd floor?  Yeah...we're not talking about a Stairway to Heaven.  We're talking about a stairway up one flight of stairs. 

I had to giggle at myself, though.  As I was leaving the office at the end of the day, I was talking on my cell phone and completely distracted.  Out of habit, I got on the elevator to go DOWN...one flight of stairs...after the whole dramatic scene going UP the stairs...I forget to take the stairs DOWN.  I guess old habits die hard.

This is my life.  And I blame me.

No comments:

Post a Comment