Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tigers and Elephants, Oh My



Well, I did say this was the year I was going to try to break bad habits and try new things.  Last night, I may have gone too far.  Watch out for flying pork.  Check the stables for unicorns.  And somebody get OBL a jacket because it must be awfully chilly in hell right now.  I dressed up in hounds tooth and crimson and attended the Alabama/Notre Dame watch party with the entire BAMA alumni association of Houston.  (For those of you not from Louisiana and not LSU fans, even the thought of cheering for the Crimson Tide is reason for death by lethal injection in Tiger Stadium.)

Allow me to explain myself.  It became clear that LSU would not have the opportunity to attend the BCS national championship game the night Alabama crushed Auburn sending them to the SEC title game, and ultimately last night’s gridiron battle.  I mourned for a few days and then took the attitude that I would support the SEC team in the national title game.  A stronger SEC conference can only better LSU.  I was sick of sports announcers mocking the SEC after a less than desirable bowl season.  Bottom line is the SEC is the toughest conference in the country.  I wanted another national title to prove that point.  Last night’s glass football makes seven in a row.  So, that’s my argument for pulling for the Tide.  Yes, I’m a Catholic.  I have many friends who are Irish alumni.  And Rudy is my favorite sports movie of all time.  But as my sister put it, “God forgives.  Saban doesn’t.” 

Now…as far as dressing up in hounds tooth and crimson…that was less planned.  My dear friend Amanda has been dating a really great guy for more than a year now.  He just so happens to be the President of the Houston chapter of the Alabama alumni association.  She has purple and gold blood that runs through and through as well, but she goes to the BAMA events for him (unless LSU is playing).  She’s a good woman.  I walked into this already established BAMA alumni watering hole not quite sure what to expect.  These were not my people.  It looked like an elephant had exploded in the room.  Wall to wall crimson, white and gray.  I was overwhelmed.  I just kept singing the LSU fight song over and over…in my head, of course.  I had a glass of wine to loosen up.  I went with a chardonnay rather than a white zin.  I didn’t want to give this crowd the impression that Tigers are less than classy.  I had a fantastic time catching up with my dear friend who I hadn’t seen since the New Year began.  It was really nice to see my fellow Tiger support Brian (her boyfriend), who, by the way, was super sweet to me as always and seemed genuinely appreciative of my efforts to support his team.  But I think he smelled the fake on me.  I clapped for the Tide.  I cheered for the Tide.  I drank for the Tide.  And I Ionged for Death Valley.

I did leave before the game ended to get back home at a reasonable hour.  I heard the final seconds on the radio and smiled for the SEC win.  Then I immediately took the crimson cardigan off my back and ripped off my hounds tooth jacket.  It was suffocating, really.

This morning I woke up.  The national championship remains in the SEC and I detest Alabama.  Life is just as it should be.

Not too thrilled about this get up.
Me and Amanda supporting the SEC (and Brian).
Keeping our Tiger roots alive with a little purple and gold bling.

This is my life.  And I blame me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming and supporting the SEC and my Brian! I love that you live closer and hope we can have outings more often... Next time, we will coordinate our purple and gold! Especially since we are now both back to hating Alabama again! ;-) xoxo!

    ReplyDelete