Monday, January 28, 2013

You look good that way, ma'am

Yesterday afternoon on my way home from the movies (I went to see Lincoln...it was amazing), I stopped at a gas station to fill up and get a large diet coke since I was out at home.  It is important to note that I had not taken a shower, I had no make up on and I was wearing my LSU sweats.  I was looking rough.

I walked into the convenience store and noticed a man outside smoking a cigarette next to the door.  He opened the the door and said, "Hello."  I thanked him and walked in going about my business.  I was inside for maybe 2 minutes.  As I was walking out, I could feel him still standing in the same spot.  I didn't look.  Then, I hear him say, "I just wanted to tell you that you look really good that way, ma'am."  Best back handed compliment ever.

Initial thought:  What exactly do you mean by "that way!?!?!?!"  I was insulted.  It was like someone saying, "You look really good for your age."  Was he saying that because I looked like a homeless person and he wanted to let me know that he liked dirty women?  Was he saying that because I have an ass the size of Delaware and he likes big butts?  Was he saying that because I looked angry and he likes his women mad?  Whatever the reason, I was highly offended.

Actual event that took place:  First, I turned around to verify that he was actually talking to me.  I mean, how embarrassing would that have been if I yelled out "thank you" only to find that he was talking about some hot, skinny blond walking out behind me?  Nope.  He was talking to me.  I just said a soft "thank you" and scurried back to my car.  Got in and locked the doors.

As I drove away, I began to change my initial thought.  No matter the reason, it's always nice to be paid a compliment.  In fact, I should pay people compliments more often.  It's just good practice.  However, I think I'm going to do society a favor and stop before adding on, "that way" or "for your age" or "even with a peg leg."

This is my life.  And I blame me.

3 comments:

  1. LOL...I think it was the greasy hair he was referring to! maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! A compliment is always good even if it's not, lol! I'm sure he meant to harm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhhhh...I assume you meant "no harm" right? HAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete